Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day Three Finally Over

Well, I don't know when I have felt so frustrated using the computer, probably not since my first experience using a PC in the mid 90s. Believe me it is NOT due to the instruction, the handouts, or my wonderful classmates. I would never have made it through the day if it had not been for Paul, Charlie, Kate and Jack. Each one helped me retain the minimal sanity I still had when I walked out of class.

So today was Podcasting. I really want to learn more about this because I think that this is one format that I will use often with the MSJ parents as their liaison. I plan on recording my monthly newsletter article in a Podcast on the school website . Our president and principal already do theirs this way (with the help of Paul). I think many parents would like to "hear" the information. Also, there are so many questions that parents have about the details of campus events that a podcast could provide in an easy method. It can reach lots of parents easily and often replace multiple phone calls I receive requesting the same information. This will be another valuable communication tool for me.

Why was I so FRUSTRATED?
So the source of the my angst was two fold: first, my computer's microphone setting reverted back to MUTE while I was attempting to play back my Audacity recording (which was actual recorded) and secondly, Tribal Shout would not recognize my gmail account. Oh, did I say account? I mean accounts! I must have registered about 8 new accounts. The problem was I did not receive the confirmation e-mail and it would not recognize my login in and password. It just did not work.

Also, at the end of the day (after about almost 2 hours trying to connect) when I finally succeeded and got into Tribal Shout, I discovered that I had only copied a shortcut to my recording onto my jump drive. At that point enough was enough and it was time to call it quits.

So will I return tomorrow? YES. I know that it will be a better day. I guess I learned that technology doesn't always work and that if I experience this frustration, others will too at some time or another. MOST importantly I learned that I'm blessed with a wonderful instructor, Paul Kellermann, and that his "new teacher assistant" Calvert Hall Charlie has a heart of gold and a mountain of patience.

Personally, I did not like the person I became as the frustration mounted. I do know that, as Scarlet O'Hara in Gone With the Wind said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

*I am thrilled for everyone's success (Kate and Jack--thanks for putting up with me as your computer neighbor).

1 comment:

Melinda Johnson said...

I can identify with that frustration. It's not just you, or the program Audacity. The mute problem happened for me in the old version of Audacity at MSJ too (they called it the "stable" version on Audacity's site). At home, I downloaded the new beta version and had no problems with the program muting my sound after recording. Ironically, I consistently have the same problem with Adobe Audition (which on my home computer will no longer allow me to record!). I think that as this technology becomes more refined, you will see a more consistent level of performance. I'm sorry that you had such a down day.