Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Second Day of Class Completed

So Day 2 is done and I am still pecking away on my Wiki (that doesn't sound nice). The name wiki may mean quick, quick but I feel slow, slow. I am such a visual and kinesethic learner that I really don't "GET IT" until I work directly on a project. So now at 7 p.m. I am beginning to see results that I can live with for the time being.

The class and the topics are actually exhilarating! It is exciting to have time to work on a new mode of technology that I know will have application to the work I do at Mt. St. Joe. The wiki has great potential with parents since it is not limited by location--the parents can view it, add to it, and discuss topics on it via cyberspace when they have time in their busy lives. They are not my "students" but they are vital to our school. So I want to think out of the box and brainstorm ways to use this wiki in the near future to enhance their experience at MSJ.

So what did I learn today? I learned that I need to take a deep breath, be confident that small successes will come and realize that my wiki will be a living document, forever changing as time goes by.

Oh yeah on the practical level, I learned how to embed a video, edit the navigation area, develop a vision for wiki use in my job, add images that are sized better than when I began the day, and also that so many of the tools I am using to create my wiki are already familiar to me because of my computer experience. I am not know exact why it all works, but IT DOES AND I AM PROGRESSING!
(BTW--a big thank you to all my classmates and teacher Paul who are patient with me when my frustration shows!)

No comments: